May 05 2008
Top 10 things you must read about VMware Networking
- VI3 Networking – Concepts and Components (VMworld 2007) – A VMworld 2007 presentation describing the VI3 network architecture and how to properly configure it.
- VI3 Networking – Advanced Configurations and Troubleshooting (VMworld 2007) – A VMworld 2007 presentation on advanced virtual networking topics with tips for troubleshooting problems.
- VMware ESX Server 3 802.1Q VLAN Solutions – Provides concepts and configuration tips for using 802.1Q VLAN tagging with your vSwitch configurations.
- Integrating Virtual Machines into the Cisco Data Center Architecture – A white paper written by Cisco on ESX server networking architecture and integration with Cisco network devices.
- Networking Performance in VMware ESX Server 3.5 – A white paper from VMware comparing virtual to physical networking performance.
- Network Throughput in a Virtual Infrastructure – A white paper from VMware that outlines the considerations that affect network throughput.
- ESX3 Networking Internals – A VMware TSX 2007 presentation on the internals of how ESX vSwitches function.
- High Performance ESX Networking – A VMware TSX 2007 presentation on ESX network design considerations.
- How To Configure Networking from the Service Console Command Line – A VMware KB article on setting up networking via the CLI, a must know if you lose your networking configuration and cannot connect to an ESX Server via the VI Client.
- Server Virtualization – Network Implications and Best Practices – A presentation from Cisco on network virtualization architecture and design considerations for Cisco networks to support virtual environments.
Apr 28 2008
Top 10 things you must read about VMware Troubleshooting
- Top Support Issues and How to Solve Them – Batch 1 – A VMworld 2007 presentation on troubleshooting storage issues including multipathing, vmfs, SAN snapshots and VCB.
- Top Support Issues and How to Solve Them – Batch 2 – A VMworld 2007 presentation on troubleshooting issues with the service console, networking, VM snapshots, vmfs and extents.
- Tips for Troubleshooting ESX Server 3.x Faults – A VMworld 2007 presentation on troubleshooting ESX faults including hardware, host, VMM, Guest OS and application faults.
- Troubleshooting VMware Infrastructure 3 – A VMworld 2007 lab manual with troubleshooting tips for the networking, VirtualCenter, vMotion, Virtual Machine, DRS/HA and more.
- VI3 Advanced Diagnostics Logs Analysis – A VMworld 2007 presentation that provides in-depth detail on the ESX server logs and how to use them to troubleshoot problems.
- VI3 Networking – Advanced Configurations and Troubleshooting – A VMworld 2007 presentation on troubleshooting virtual NIC’s, switches and other networking functions.
- Using esxtop to troubleshoot performance problems – A VMware Tech Note on how to use the esxtop utility to troubleshoot performance problems.
- Troubleshooting Vmware ESX Server 3 and Vmware VirtualCenter 2 – A VMworld 2006 presentation with tips for troubleshooting ESX, VirtualCenter, Licensing Server, VC Database and vMotion.
- VirtualCenter 2 Diagnostics – A VMworld 2006 presentation covering how to troubleshoot problems with VirtualCenter.
- Performance Troubleshooting – A VMworld 2006 lab manual with detailed information on performance troubleshooting.
Apr 24 2008
Top 10 things you must read about VMware Storage
- SAN Configuration Guide – A big guide from VMware on SAN background, installation and management.
- SAN System Design and Deployment Guide – Another big guide from VMware on designing and deploying SAN environments to use with VI3.
- Design, Build and Manage your SAN Environment using VI3 – A VMworld 2007 presentation from VMware that discusses how VMware Infrastructure 3 can solve SAN management problems by providing solutions such as managing multiple hosts/clients from sprawling, multipathing management without the high cost and complexity, cluster file system for HA solutions, LUN security, and storage consolidation. This is a vendor neutral session providing topics for SAN architects and administrators ideas on ways to best deploy VMware Infrastructure 3 on SAN.
- NFS & iSCSI – Performance Characterization and Best Practices – A VMworld 2007 presentation from VMware that provides a performance-oriented overview of the technology along with performance troubleshooting techniques and best-practice recommendations in typical ESX Server deployment. Up-to-date performance data, a review of performance optimizations available currently and a preview of features in upcoming releases are also be presented.
- Choosing and Architecting Storage for your Environment – A VMworld 2006 presentation on selecting and architecting the right storage solution for your ESX environment.
- ESX Storage Virtualization Insights – A TSX 2007 presentation on the ESX storage stack, VMFS vs. RDM and multi-pathing.
- Network Appliance and VMware ESX Server 3.0 Storage Best Practices – A white paper from Netapp with general best practices and recommendations on using storage with ESX.
- iSCSI, NAS and IP Storage Configuration for Vmware ESX Server – A VMworld 2006 presentation on using iSCSI and NAS instead of a SAN with ESX.
- Comparison of Storage Protocol Performance – A VMware performance study comparing Fibre Channel, Hardware iSCSI, Software iSCSI and NFS.
- Configuring iSCSI in a Vmware 3 environment – A white paper from VMware on using and configuring iSCSI in your ESX environment.
Apr 23 2008
Top 10 things you must read about vCenter Server
- Bulletproof VirtualCenter – A VMworld 2007 presentation on properly configuring and protecting VirtualCenter so it has high availability.
- VirtualCenter Database Maintenance: SQL Server – A white paper from VMware on how to maintain the VirtualCenter database when using SQL Server.
- Running VirtualCenter in a Virtual Machine – A white paper from VMware discussing the advantages and limitations of running VirtualCenter as a VM.
- VirtualCenter Database Performance for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 – A white paper from VMware on performance statistic collections and there effect on the VirtualCenter database.
- VirtualCenter 2 Diagnostics – A VMworld 2006 presentation on troubleshooting problems with VirtualCenter.
- Managing Vmware VirtualCenter Roles & Permissions – A white paper from VMware on configuring roles and permissions in VirtualCenter.
- VirtualCenter 2.0 The Technical Insights – A VMware TSX 2007 presentation on the technical architecture of VirtualCenter.
- Template Usage and Best Practices – A white paper from VMware on creating, managing and using templates to deploy virtual machines.
- Replacing VirtualCenter Server Certificates – A technote from VMware on replacing the default certificates in VirtualCenter.
- VirtualCenter Technical Best practices – A document from VMware with technical details on VirtualCenter and vMotion.
Apr 22 2008
Top 10 things you must read about VMware Security
- VMware Infrastructure 3 Security Hardening – A white paper from VMware with tips on securing ESX servers, VirtualCenter and Virtual Machines.
- Security Design of the VMware Infrastructure 3 Architecture – A white paper from VMware describing the security architecture of VI3 including networking, storage, service console and the hypervisor.
- Security Hardening and Monitoring of VMware Infrastructure 3 – A VMworld 2007 lab manual that covers real-world examples of securing VI3.
- VMware ESX Server – Providing LUN Security – A white paper from VMware written in response to LUN security concerns that have been raised.
- CIS ESX Server 3.x Security Benchmark – Center for Internet Security (CIS) recommended guidelines for securing ESX servers.
- CIS Virtual Machine Security Benchmark – Center for Internet Security (CIS) recommended guidelines for securing Virtual Machines.
- Security Architecture Design and Hardening VI3 (VMworld 2007) – A VMworld 2007 presentation on the security design of VI3 and recommended hardening steps.
- VI3 Security Risk Assessment Template – A great document from Xtravirt to help assess and mitigate security risks with VI3.
- Security in a Virtualized Environment (VMworld 2007) – A VMworld 2007 presentation comparing physical to virtual security.
- Virtualization Security Playbook – A compilation of 8 good virtual security articles.