- VI3 Networking – Concepts and Components (VMworld 2007) – A VMworld 2007 presentation describing the VI3 network architecture and how to properly configure it.
- VI3 Networking – Advanced Configurations and Troubleshooting (VMworld 2007) – A VMworld 2007 presentation on advanced virtual networking topics with tips for troubleshooting problems.
- VMware ESX Server 3 802.1Q VLAN Solutions – Provides concepts and configuration tips for using 802.1Q VLAN tagging with your vSwitch configurations.
- Integrating Virtual Machines into the Cisco Data Center Architecture – A white paper written by Cisco on ESX server networking architecture and integration with Cisco network devices.
- Networking Performance in VMware ESX Server 3.5 – A white paper from VMware comparing virtual to physical networking performance.
- Network Throughput in a Virtual Infrastructure – A white paper from VMware that outlines the considerations that affect network throughput.
- ESX3 Networking Internals – A VMware TSX 2007 presentation on the internals of how ESX vSwitches function.
- High Performance ESX Networking – A VMware TSX 2007 presentation on ESX network design considerations.
- How To Configure Networking from the Service Console Command Line – A VMware KB article on setting up networking via the CLI, a must know if you lose your networking configuration and cannot connect to an ESX Server via the VI Client.
- Server Virtualization – Network Implications and Best Practices – A presentation from Cisco on network virtualization architecture and design considerations for Cisco networks to support virtual environments.
May 05 2008
Top 10 things you must read about VMware Networking
Apr 28 2008
Top 10 things you must read about VMware Troubleshooting
- Top Support Issues and How to Solve Them – Batch 1 – A VMworld 2007 presentation on troubleshooting storage issues including multipathing, vmfs, SAN snapshots and VCB.
- Top Support Issues and How to Solve Them – Batch 2 – A VMworld 2007 presentation on troubleshooting issues with the service console, networking, VM snapshots, vmfs and extents.
- Tips for Troubleshooting ESX Server 3.x Faults – A VMworld 2007 presentation on troubleshooting ESX faults including hardware, host, VMM, Guest OS and application faults.
- Troubleshooting VMware Infrastructure 3 – A VMworld 2007 lab manual with troubleshooting tips for the networking, VirtualCenter, vMotion, Virtual Machine, DRS/HA and more.
- VI3 Advanced Diagnostics Logs Analysis – A VMworld 2007 presentation that provides in-depth detail on the ESX server logs and how to use them to troubleshoot problems.
- VI3 Networking – Advanced Configurations and Troubleshooting – A VMworld 2007 presentation on troubleshooting virtual NIC’s, switches and other networking functions.
- Using esxtop to troubleshoot performance problems – A VMware Tech Note on how to use the esxtop utility to troubleshoot performance problems.
- Troubleshooting Vmware ESX Server 3 and Vmware VirtualCenter 2 – A VMworld 2006 presentation with tips for troubleshooting ESX, VirtualCenter, Licensing Server, VC Database and vMotion.
- VirtualCenter 2 Diagnostics – A VMworld 2006 presentation covering how to troubleshoot problems with VirtualCenter.
- Performance Troubleshooting – A VMworld 2006 lab manual with detailed information on performance troubleshooting.
Apr 24 2008
Top 10 things you must read about VMware Storage
- SAN Configuration Guide – A big guide from VMware on SAN background, installation and management.
- SAN System Design and Deployment Guide – Another big guide from VMware on designing and deploying SAN environments to use with VI3.
- Design, Build and Manage your SAN Environment using VI3 – A VMworld 2007 presentation from VMware that discusses how VMware Infrastructure 3 can solve SAN management problems by providing solutions such as managing multiple hosts/clients from sprawling, multipathing management without the high cost and complexity, cluster file system for HA solutions, LUN security, and storage consolidation. This is a vendor neutral session providing topics for SAN architects and administrators ideas on ways to best deploy VMware Infrastructure 3 on SAN.
- NFS & iSCSI – Performance Characterization and Best Practices – A VMworld 2007 presentation from VMware that provides a performance-oriented overview of the technology along with performance troubleshooting techniques and best-practice recommendations in typical ESX Server deployment. Up-to-date performance data, a review of performance optimizations available currently and a preview of features in upcoming releases are also be presented.
- Choosing and Architecting Storage for your Environment – A VMworld 2006 presentation on selecting and architecting the right storage solution for your ESX environment.
- ESX Storage Virtualization Insights – A TSX 2007 presentation on the ESX storage stack, VMFS vs. RDM and multi-pathing.
- Network Appliance and VMware ESX Server 3.0 Storage Best Practices – A white paper from Netapp with general best practices and recommendations on using storage with ESX.
- iSCSI, NAS and IP Storage Configuration for Vmware ESX Server – A VMworld 2006 presentation on using iSCSI and NAS instead of a SAN with ESX.
- Comparison of Storage Protocol Performance – A VMware performance study comparing Fibre Channel, Hardware iSCSI, Software iSCSI and NFS.
- Configuring iSCSI in a Vmware 3 environment – A white paper from VMware on using and configuring iSCSI in your ESX environment.
Apr 23 2008
Top 10 things you must read about vCenter Server
- Bulletproof VirtualCenter – A VMworld 2007 presentation on properly configuring and protecting VirtualCenter so it has high availability.
- VirtualCenter Database Maintenance: SQL Server – A white paper from VMware on how to maintain the VirtualCenter database when using SQL Server.
- Running VirtualCenter in a Virtual Machine – A white paper from VMware discussing the advantages and limitations of running VirtualCenter as a VM.
- VirtualCenter Database Performance for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 – A white paper from VMware on performance statistic collections and there effect on the VirtualCenter database.
- VirtualCenter 2 Diagnostics – A VMworld 2006 presentation on troubleshooting problems with VirtualCenter.
- Managing Vmware VirtualCenter Roles & Permissions – A white paper from VMware on configuring roles and permissions in VirtualCenter.
- VirtualCenter 2.0 The Technical Insights – A VMware TSX 2007 presentation on the technical architecture of VirtualCenter.
- Template Usage and Best Practices – A white paper from VMware on creating, managing and using templates to deploy virtual machines.
- Replacing VirtualCenter Server Certificates – A technote from VMware on replacing the default certificates in VirtualCenter.
- VirtualCenter Technical Best practices – A document from VMware with technical details on VirtualCenter and vMotion.
Apr 22 2008
Top 10 things you must read about VMware Security
- VMware Infrastructure 3 Security Hardening – A white paper from VMware with tips on securing ESX servers, VirtualCenter and Virtual Machines.
- Security Design of the VMware Infrastructure 3 Architecture – A white paper from VMware describing the security architecture of VI3 including networking, storage, service console and the hypervisor.
- Security Hardening and Monitoring of VMware Infrastructure 3 – A VMworld 2007 lab manual that covers real-world examples of securing VI3.
- VMware ESX Server – Providing LUN Security – A white paper from VMware written in response to LUN security concerns that have been raised.
- CIS ESX Server 3.x Security Benchmark – Center for Internet Security (CIS) recommended guidelines for securing ESX servers.
- CIS Virtual Machine Security Benchmark – Center for Internet Security (CIS) recommended guidelines for securing Virtual Machines.
- Security Architecture Design and Hardening VI3 (VMworld 2007) – A VMworld 2007 presentation on the security design of VI3 and recommended hardening steps.
- VI3 Security Risk Assessment Template – A great document from Xtravirt to help assess and mitigate security risks with VI3.
- Security in a Virtualized Environment (VMworld 2007) – A VMworld 2007 presentation comparing physical to virtual security.
- Virtualization Security Playbook – A compilation of 8 good virtual security articles.