My name is Eric Siebert and I am a Senior Systems Administator specializing in Virtualization and Windows Server administration.
I have been working with computers my entire life having started in the early days of personal computing with Apple & Commodore computers. As a teenager I managed an MP/M system for a video store chain and wrote custom software for businesses. Later I worked with Novell networks and early Windows and OS/2 based systems as well as IBM mid-range systems like the System/36 & AS/400. In over 25 years of being around computers I have seen and done a lot and have a wealth of experience in numerous areas including programming, networking, telecommunications, systems and application administration. For the last 15 years my main focus has been the administration of Windows server environments and supporting enterprise applications such as web, email and database servers.
About 5 years ago I discovered virtualization technology in the form of VMware ESX and have been hooked ever since. I have spent countless hours exploring the product inside and out and learning everything about it that I can. Eventually I also discovered my passion for teaching and helping others learn from my knowledge and experience and turned to writing as an outlet to educate others. I have spent a lot of time helping others in VMware’s community support forums and achieved the highest level rank of Guru as well as becoming one of the forum moderators. I also started this website to share my tips, experiences, knowledge, hundreds of links to technical information and top 10 lists on a variety of subjects. Additionally I took to writing tips and blogging for Tech Target’s websites including searchvmware.com, searchservervirtualization.com and searchdatabackup.com and have published dozens of blog postings and technical tips there. I was a speaker and one of the panelists for the VMTN Community Expert session at VMworld 2008 as well as a judge for the Best of VMworld awards.
In June of 2008 I was approached by an editor about writing a book on VMware and quickly jumped at the chance to take my passion for helping others and my knowledge and experience with VMware on to a larger stage.
I’m originally from Chicago, IL and moved to Colorado in 1994 and currently reside in Arvada, CO.
Here are some of my career highlights:
- Author of 2 books with Pearson Publishing, VI3 Implementation and Administration & Maximum vSphere.
- 3 time Best of VMworld judge (2008, 2009, 2010)
- 2 time vExpert (2009, 2010)
- 2 time VMworld speaker, (2008 - panel session, 2010 - 2 breakout sessions)
- Co-host on the vChat weekly podcast
- Contributor to Train Signal’s vSphere Pro Series Vol. 2 video training course
- Contributor to the VMTN Community Roundtable weekly podcast hosted by John Troyer
- Guru ranked contributor in the VMTN forums
- Proprietor of the vsphere-land.com and thevpad.com websites
- Frequent article and webcast contributor to many Tech Target websites including searchvmware.com, searchservervirtualization.com, searchstorage.com, searchnetworking.com & searchdatabackup.com
- Advisory board member for searchservervirtualization.com
- Freelance writer for vendors and other virtualization websites