May 2008 archive
May 12 2008
How large can virtual machine snapshots grow?
May 12 2008
Should I install anti-virus software on the ESX Service Console?
May 12 2008
How does network traffic route on vSwitches?
May 12 2008
.Top 10 List Index
May 08 2008
Top 10 things you must read about VMware Performance
- Understanding Performance in a Virtualized Environment (VMworld 2007) – A VMworld 2007 presentation on understanding virtulization performance and overhead as well as dispelling common myths.
- Interpreting Performance Statistics in VI3 (VMworld 2007) – A VMworld 2007 presentation on understanding and interpreting VirtualCenter/ESX statistics in the VI Client and esxtop.
- Performance Tuning Best Practices for ESX Server 3 – A white paper from VMware with performance tips that cover the most performance-critical areas of Virtual Infrastructure 3.
- Top 12 ways to Improve Guest Server Performance under VMware ESX Server – A VMworld 2006 presentation with 12 tips for configuring hosts, virtual machines and guest environments for best performance.
- Performance Monitoring and Capacity Planning – A VMworld 2006 presentation on performance tuning methodologies and approaches.
- ESX Workload Analysis: Lessons Learned – A VMworld 2006 presentation on performing workload analysis and performance analysis of virtual workloads.
- VMware ESX Server: Best Practices for Performance – A presentation from EMC World 2007 with recommended performance practices and benchmarking guidelines.
- VM Performance Monitoring and Logging – A VMUG presentation from VMware on performance monitoring and using log files.
- ESX3 Performance Tuning – A VMUG presentation from Long View Systems on performance tuning ESX hosts and virtual machines.
- Performance Tuning for VI3 – A VMworld 2006 presentation on basic performance concepts, tools, technologies and recommendations.
May 06 2008
Top 10 things you must read about VMware Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity
- Tips and Tricks – Disaster Recovery in a Box (VMworld 2007) – A VMworld 2007 presentation on the technical details of implementing a cost effective DR solution and packaged solutions.
- VMware Infrastructure 3 Capabilities for Improving Disaster Recovery – A VMworld 2006 presentation on why using virtual machines is a great option for disaster recovery.
- New Trends in Disaster Recovery for VMware (VMworld 2007) – A VMworld 2007 presentation on current DR options and using Site Recovery Manager to automate DR workflows.
- VMware ESX Server and Storage Architecture Best Practices for Performance, Backup, and Disaster Recovery – A VMworld 2006 presentation on how to architect storage for use in a VMware DR environment.
- Disaster Recovery Virtualization – A white paper from VMware and DoubleTake on using virtual machines and data replication for disaster recovery.
- Leveraging VMware ESX Server in Disaster Recovery Solutions – A VMworld 2006 presentation with case studies on using VMware ESX as a DR solution.
- Disaster Recovery Solution Architecture for VMware (VMworld 2007) – A VMworld 2007 presentation describing how to use Site Recovery Manager as an effective DR solution.
- Innovative Approaches for High Availability and Disaster Recovery in Your VMware Infrastructure Environment – A VMworld 2006 presentation by Symantec on DR challenges and solutions and using Veritas Cluster Server as a DR option.
- VMware ESX Server as a Foundation for High Availability and Disaster Recovery for the Microsoft Server Platform – A VMworld 2006 presentation by EMC on using HA layers, DR layers and Contimuation of Operations.
- VMware users explore disaster recover options – An article on different DR options used by various companies with their VMware infrastructure.
May 05 2008
Top 10 things you must read about VMware Networking
- VI3 Networking – Concepts and Components (VMworld 2007) – A VMworld 2007 presentation describing the VI3 network architecture and how to properly configure it.
- VI3 Networking – Advanced Configurations and Troubleshooting (VMworld 2007) – A VMworld 2007 presentation on advanced virtual networking topics with tips for troubleshooting problems.
- VMware ESX Server 3 802.1Q VLAN Solutions – Provides concepts and configuration tips for using 802.1Q VLAN tagging with your vSwitch configurations.
- Integrating Virtual Machines into the Cisco Data Center Architecture – A white paper written by Cisco on ESX server networking architecture and integration with Cisco network devices.
- Networking Performance in VMware ESX Server 3.5 – A white paper from VMware comparing virtual to physical networking performance.
- Network Throughput in a Virtual Infrastructure – A white paper from VMware that outlines the considerations that affect network throughput.
- ESX3 Networking Internals – A VMware TSX 2007 presentation on the internals of how ESX vSwitches function.
- High Performance ESX Networking – A VMware TSX 2007 presentation on ESX network design considerations.
- How To Configure Networking from the Service Console Command Line – A VMware KB article on setting up networking via the CLI, a must know if you lose your networking configuration and cannot connect to an ESX Server via the VI Client.
- Server Virtualization – Network Implications and Best Practices – A presentation from Cisco on network virtualization architecture and design considerations for Cisco networks to support virtual environments.