VMotion CPU Compatibility for Intel processors
VMotion CPU Compatibility for AMD processors
VMotion – How to override CPU masks due to CPU mismatch
VMotion between Apples and Oranges: Understanding CPU Compatibility Restraints for VMotion
VMotion and VM Compatibility Matrix for Dell PowerEdge Servers
VMotion and VM Compatibility Matrix for HP Proliant Servers
How to setup and use VMotion: A Screencast
How to obtain, configure and use VMotion and how VMotion works
VMware VMotion and CPU Compatibility
Overview of VMotion migration compatibility error messages
VMware Enhanced VMotion Compatibility
Enhanced VMotion Compatibility (EVC) processor support
Understanding CPU Compatibility Constraints for VMotion (VMworld 2007)
Live Migration with AMD-V Extended Migration Technology
What is Enhanced VMotion Compatibility anyway?
Enhanced Vmotion Compatibility (EVC) – Intel Example
AMD and Red Hat Demonstrate Cross-Platform Live Migration
VMotion and Change Management
VMotion fails at 10 percent
Dec 08 2008
- VMware VMotion and CPU Compatibility – A white paper from VMware that explains how VMotion works, the differences between CPU types and features, what CPU masks are and how to use them and what Enhanced VMotion is.
- Understanding CPU Compatibility Constraints for VMotion (VMworld 2007 – free registration required) – A VMworld 2007 presentation that explains the complexities behind CPU constraints with VMotion, problematic CPU features, compatibility groups of CPUs, relaxation of restraints and hardware support for enhanced VMotion compatibility.
- VMotion CPU Compatibility for Intel & AMD processors and how to override CPU masks due to CPU mismatch – KB Article 1991, KB Article 1992 & KB Article 1993 – Three VMware knowledgebase articles that cover specific CPU compatibility information for Intel and AMD processors and how to override CPU masks due to CPU mismatch within CPU brands.
- How to obtain, configure and use VMotion and how VMotion works – An article from Andrew Kutz that covers how to license VMotion, how to configure and use it and the technical details behind how it works.
- VMotion Compatibility – An article from Scott Lowe that covers CPU masks and how to understand them and set them properly to override CPU compatibility constraints.
- How to setup and use VMotion: A Screencast – A screencast from Andrew Kutz that shows how to setup and use VMotion. It covers how to configure it, potential gotchas and how to perform a VMotion migration.
- What is Enhanced VMotion Compatibility anyway? – An article from Dave Lawrence that explains the technical details about CPUID instructions and how Enhanced VMotion Compatibility helps to solve the problem of using incompatible CPUs with VMotion.
- Overview of VMotion migration compatibility error messages – A VMware knowledgebase article that covers the many possible error messages that may be experienced with VMotion and how to resolve them.
- Enhanced VMotion Compatibility (EVC) processor support – A VMware knowledgebase article that covers the Intel and AMD processors that are supported by Enhanced VMotion Compatibility.
- Live Migration with AMD-V Extended Migration Technology – A white paper from AMD that covers the challenges and technical details of using VMotion across incompatible CPUs and how CPUID instructions are used.